Thursday, October 21, 2010

Spooky Cookies

Reading the other blogs about Halloween got me in the mood to be a little Halloween-ie myself. When my sister and I were young every easter my mom would break out the cookie ingredients and spend the morning making sugar cookie dough, chilling it and then rolling it out to cut Easter shapes. We would be allowed to invite friends over for a cookie decorating (and eating) party. We looked forward to it every year and not just for the cookies. Our mom is awesome in every way, she is supportive and wonderful and one of our best friends. She has no interest whatsoever in cooking or baking. She never really has, which is what made Easter cookies all the more special . We loved this tradition and looked forward to it every year. Being a grownup myself now, I can see what a gift that was from our mom, because she was doing something she didn’t love simply because we loved it. As an adult I have expanded decorated cookies from Easter to Valentine’s Day and now this year Halloween.
I can’t take credit for all of these though. I had help from our niece Abby, her mom and my sister. These are fun at any age and definitely a crowd pleaser (especially when brought into work).
The recipe I use for the sugar cookies comes from Pillsbury. I have tried a million recipes in my day but I find these to hold their shape the best.

Mix ingredients and add flour slowly combining thoroughly.


Cover in Saranwrap and chill in the fridge for at least one hour

I was in a rush so I did not roll the cookies, instead I just made balls.


Bake 5-9 minutes – mine took about 8. Drool over the smell wafting through your house and try not to eat them warm. Let cool for at least 20 minutes before frosting.


Use anything and everything to decorate with. I found some cute Halloween gummies that were a great base for decorations.

Take pictures immediately upon finishing because these puppies won’t last long!

Ingredients:1 cup sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
3 cups
All Purpose Flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Sugar or decorator icing
Preparation Directions:
1. In large bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, margarine, milk, vanilla and egg; blend well. Add flour, baking powder and salt; mix well. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour for easier handling.
2. Heat oven to 400°F. On lightly floured surface, roll out 1/3 of dough at a time to 1/8-inch thickness. Keep remaining dough refrigerated. Cut with floured cookie cutter. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. If desired, sprinkle with sugar.
3. Bake at 400°F. for 5 to 9 minutes or until edges are light brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely. Decorate as desired.




Measure all ingredients except flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment