Thursday, October 21, 2010

Apples for Autumn



Martha Stewart has a get summer recipe called the Rasberry buckle. It's a yummy white cake with a lot of fruit thrown in. I decided to try the cake portion of the recipe with my own apple version and man am I glad that I did. This cake is a perfect combination of apple goodness and cakey moistness. Carl had it with a little ice cream thrown in for good measure and said it was definitely a repeat. That's all I needed to hear to know I should share it with you.

Enjoy!


I started by peeling and cutting all of the apples. It was only when Carl came in the kitchen and asked are you going to put this on your blog that I remembered to start taking pictures. In this pic I have already mixed the apples with 2T of sugar, 1t of cinnamon, and a pinch of nutmeg. I am in the process of adding 2T of flour to the mix.

I went about this in much the same way you would with the pineapple upside down cake. I melted butter in the pan, added a bit of brown sugar and poured the apples on top. At this point I was tempted to cook the apples without the cake, but I patiently moved on.


Combine butter and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy.

Add each egg one at a time, blending well

Add the rest of the dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly.

Pour the cake batter on top of the apple mixture and bake for 45 minutes.

Flip the cake and enjoy! This cake would taste equally delicious not flipped - it's really up to you. I think seeing the apples makes the whole dessert really enticing, but I am strange that way...food is always calling to me!

Apples
5-7 red or green apples
2 T sugar
1t cinnamon
2 T flour
bit of lemon juice
1-2t of butter
1-2t of brown sugar

Cake
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for baking dish
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
.
Peel and thinly slice apples. Combine in bowl with sugar, cinnamon, flour, and splash of lemon juice (optional). Melt 1-2 teaspoon of butter into your pan and sprinkle with brown sugar. Pour apples in on top.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition to combine. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder; with mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture until incorporated


As mentioned in an earlier post, I have a serious love for cinnamon and as far as I am concerned nothing goes better with cinnamon than apples. On Sunday night I assessed the fruit bowl and realised we had more apples than we would ever get through. I thought about making a pie, but I wasn't in the humour to make my own crust and wasn't feeling energetic enough to go buy one. I looked through a few cookbooks for inspiration, but the truth is I wanted something simple. As in easy. I remembered that my soon to be mother in law had recently made a really tasty apple cake and bingo! I had decided to try my own version.

No comments:

Post a Comment