Thursday, October 14, 2010

Swing your arms from side to side. Come on, it's time to go. Do the Mario!

Call me a nerd, but I have had a love for Mario and Luigi for the last 21 years.

I suppose I could be considered a video gamer in the very loosest terms. I am not one who beats levels or earns all the little badges and trophies available or even finishes games. I am more of the play the parts that I like over and over again. And if I cannot beat the game I am cool with it. I mean my favorite games are the sims (and I don't ever finish playing a family out before I move on to the next one...too sad to see the sims I spent all my time working on get old and gray and just die!) and racing and fighting games where I can just push buttons and do cool things.

Wow. Quite the rant on a non-crafting and non-cooking subject. But it is definitely a big part of my life. In fact I would say the most used gift my husband and I got for our wedding is MarioKart for the wii. (Yep and the wii was bought with giftcards from the wedding as well) So for the last several years I have dreamed of making my 2 little furbabies Mario and Luigi for Halloween. And it is absolutely perfect for them as one is fat...uh i mean stocky...and the other is a skinny minnie. And they LOVE to get dressed up. No lie. One of their favorite games is to wear those little plastic leis and pretend to be powerful and sneak up and attack each other.

Anyways, I didn't want to just buy them costumes so I needed to learn to make them.. That is where the 3 year snag happened. But I have been getting really good at building my own patterns and sewing my own creations that this seemed like the perfect time to get it done. (minus the whole work thing being my busiest time of the year from august thru november)

So I scoured the world wide web for inspiration and came across my ideal inspiration for my kitty costumes! It is a blog featuring a fantastic etsy shop called Young Urban Puppy. (link)

Inspiration: Check.

Now to construct. To be honest I made a pattern after I had all the pieces cut out, just in case I would want to make another similar costume later. I really just held up fabric on the boys to determine a rough size and cut the additional pieces as they would look good.

Then the sewing was fairly straight forward. I may have messed up a few stitiches with my hastiness with the sewing machine (we tend to have a rather rocky relationship) but I think all and all for a kitty costume that will most likely just be see in pictures they will be sufficient and a point of pride for future generations.
The boys get very into my crafting. Especially the picture taking portion. Unless they are supposed to be a model as we will see later... But here is OJ trying to help take pics of the final costume
Now on to the more challenging section, the hats... I once again googled for inspiration and found exactly what I wanted quickly. (link)


They ended up being fairly straight forward and working out super well... So here are the final products!

Amaretto as Mario:

OJ as Luigi:

1 comment:

  1. These turned out to be great! I love them... oh retty and oj!

    ReplyDelete