Saturday, April 9, 2011

To Have and To Hang

One of my favorite activities each year is to host an online Emmy prediction game. I started two years ago, and it has been a great way to incorporate an "online party" with friend and family who live all over the country and world (yes, I'm talking about you, Mary!) This year was no different, and the winner then receives a prize. No one knows what the prize is ahead of time though, mostly because I don't know what it will be.

For the second year in a row, my sister won the Emmys! Ridiculous. But a ton of fun. Last year I sent her pies in a jar, this year I decided to make a hanger for her eventual wedding dress. Now this idea didn't just come to me one day, no it was while I was swimming when my swim instructor/friend said she had just purchased them for her wedding... and that when the light bulb went off in the swimming pool. Oooo... potentially dangerous. :-)


To do this project, I read a ton of online tutorials and thought I would give it a try. I got wire from the jewelry section at Joann's and wooden hangers from Michaels. And soon I began trying to curve out "Mrs. HisNameIsTooDamnLong" which of course didn't fit on the hanger. Although I tried many times. And I thought maybe the wire was too flimsy. So next I went to Lowes... which usually is quite the task.

The problem that I have with Lowe's or Home Depot is that either no one helps me when I need it because I'm very obviously lost and accidentally came into the store and I should be leaving soon OR everyone tries to help me because I am obviously a damsel in distress. So I got my running shoes on and began rushing around the store trying to find what I want and avoiding the salesmen (let's be honest, its the men I'm trying to avoid in this situation, probably to the great disappointment of my mother).

So I came home with that and it was SO tough. And it was 12 gauge to work with (the same as the jewelry version) but it was very hard to move... or it would get marks on it from the pliers. I decided to make another attempt, and went to Michaels. And they were out of the stuff I wanted in the jewelry section, but in the floral area I found another type of 12 gauge wire the would perfectly. And so I began sculpting out Sister <3 F-BIL. And did variations and kept on going. And I'm a perfectionist. So I went to Michaels and got more, since I had run out and finished making a few more. By the time I was done, I had wire all over my living room floor for days!

And soon my mother and BFF were getting many cellphone pictures asking their opinions and showing my progress.








Finally it came down to a debate between two different versions:
Which one did you think I went with? If you guessed the bottom one, you are correct. Now the amusing part of this is, the bottom one is from the first Michaels trip. The top one? Yeah, the second Michaels trip. Sometimes I overally complicate my life. And here is the finished product:



But wait... I can't just send it like this, can I? The answer is no. Instead I need to come up with a poem, make it pretty, and look at the clock that now reads 2am and want to scream a little bit. (And take a photo shoot).




Oh- and did I mention that F-BIL thought the prize was pies in a jar again? No, well I made him homemade cherry pie and Sissy Poo strawberry rhubarb pie to send out as well.



Are they spoiled? I think so. 
Should they have children anytime soon (after the wedding, mom, yes, I know)? 
Probably not. I will be broke.

No comments:

Post a Comment