Tuesday, September 21, 2010

One of the things I love about reading blogs...

One of the things I love about reading blogs is learning about the blogger. I think knowing something about the person who is bringing the inspiration for the meal you will serve to your family or the gift you are making for your best friend helps make the world feel more like a community. Reading someone’s blog is like being invited inside their kitchen to sit down and hear about things that matter to them. So in addition to loving whatever it is they are inspiring me with, I love learning little tidbits about the blogger themselves. It makes the completely overwhelming, beyond comprehension concept of the internet (I still don’t understand how it gets into my computer) seem a whole lot more personal. And as I may have mentioned before, I am all about emulating the best of what I have seen out there in the blogosphere.
Before I get into some serious crafting and cooking, I thought I would share the top ten things you should know about me right now. . . all subject to change at a moments notice. . . that’s just how I do things.
1. I live in Dublin, Ireland. I moved here in 2002 for what I thought would be 1-2 years. My first year here was very difficult. I didn’t make friends very easily and I was fully not prepared for how grey and rainy Dublin can be (having moved here from sunny Boca Raton). I was determined though and decided to stay for a second year and I am so glad that I did (see number 2).
2. I am getting married November 6th to an Irishman named Carl whom I love very much. We met on a blind date and have been together ever since. You will hear a lot about him as he is my main taste tester and biggest fan (and it is always important to surround yourself with fans).
3. My best friend is my sister Laura. In what was one of the happiest days of my life Laura moved to Dublin. She has been here five years and she is the cutest thing you have ever seen. I am her big sister by eight years so I can just about get away with saying things like that. You only have to see her to know I am not lying, I promise!
4. Wedding planning is all encompassing. If I were to graph how much time I spend thinking about the wedding, coordinating the wedding, crafting for the wedding, talking about the wedding, and yes, even dreaming about the wedding, it would be totally embarrassing.
5. I am a Weight Watcher (WW) and in all honesty probably will need to be for life. Weight is something I have carried with me since I was a young girl. I remember being about 9 or 10 and getting measured for dance costumes and our teacher said to me “wow Kathleen! Your waist is bigger than mine” (she was at least 30). The struggle with weight has continued since then. I make adjustments to lots of recipes to make them more “point” friendly (WW lingo) and I will be sure to document those changes for any of you who might be interested.
6. Crafting in Dublin can be frustrating. There is no Michael’s, there is no AC Moore, no Walmart, no Target, no anyplace that might be a crafting jackpot. Sometimes it makes me want to rip my hair out and other times it inspires (read forces) me to be more creative. While I am at it - cooking in Ireland can be frustrating too. Actually living in Ireland can be frustrating, but that’s a whole other day and a whole other post! There are many recipes that I look at and immediately have to put into a “not now” category because I know the ingredients just won’t be readily available here (and I am talking about things like corn meal not something truly exotic)!
7. In April I started riding my bike to and from work everyday. I am amazed that I am able to do this and I may talk about my bike and cycling habits much more than is necessary. I hope you will forgive me for this. Two years ago walking to and from my car winded me and now I cycle 10 miles a day? It has to be talked about (out of pride or fear of quitting I am not sure - so for now the bike stays in conversation).
8. I like to nick name things and people. Before I met Carl, I dated a lot of men whose names really weren’t worth remembering so instead I gave them names or in some cases descriptors – a few that come to mind: chef, 21, fiddler (I didn’t say they were creative!). Now that I am not in need of meeting men I am starting to name other things. Like our car is affectionately referred to as DoDee. Originally DoDee was called Daisy but I soon realised she was a he which prompted an immediate name change. Can you imagine the identity crisis that could have caused?
9. I am cheesy. I get goosebumps watching reality television, I tear up reading hallmark cards, and I think life is made seriously better when accompanied by quotes. And I love a good mix tape (even though now they are put on CD’s or called playlists or something modern like that). A good mix tape could be the first step in the solving of most world problems.
10. Thinking of ten things (or narrowing it down to ten things depending on how you look at it) was a lot harder than it seemed. Now it is time to get down to business. Next post will include a food or a craft or something of instructional value…I almost promise!
Until Then –
K-

1 comment:

  1. Kathleen! Reading this made me miss you, Laura and everyone else and Dublin and remember the great summer of 2005! :-)

    ReplyDelete